Tuesday, May 29, 2012

out of line

Why do people think they have the right to post nasty or inappropriate comments on other people's facebook page? It's like we totally forgot good etiquette when it comes to cell phones and Internet (which is a whole other blog). What got me thinking about this is a recent situation where a guy my friend was dating posted something inappropriate on one of her friend's facebook page. What gives him or anyone else who does this shit the right?

I have a diverse group of facebook friends and I know there are quite a few of them that I don't see eye to eye with, but if they post something about their views I would never post my comment on the issue. It just doesn't seem like the right place to start that debate. Those conversations that are best held offline or in a private e-mail. I think it's ignorant and disrespectful to get into a battle about politics, religion, sexual orientation, etc on facebook. I'm all for open, intelligent debate, but there has to be some ground rules.

Chances are that if you are a facebook friend and start to spew a lot of right wing bullshit then I will most likely just block your feeds. If someone posts something really out of line (like a racist or sexist comment) then I might respond, but only in extreme cases. I had this happen once when a cousin posted a racist comment and his friends started jumping in and throwing around some really horrible remarks. I jumped in, said my peace, let my cousin know I really disappointed in him and then I just blocked his updates. I wasn't about to defriend him, but I wasn't' going to continue to be involved with his and his friends hateful messages. I've also blocked some people who tend to be a little too religious for my taste. Like those people who post something about how great jesus is on every freaking post. This just annoys me.

Bottom line is that facebook is meant to be a social network. I like that I can stay connected with friends and keep up with their adventures even though they live across the country or across the ocean. It's cool to see what everyone is up to and to share things that are important in my life. My friends don't have to agree with what I post, but I ask that they respect my opinion and I'll do the same for them. It's when ignorant assholes feel they can post hateful or hurtful comments on someone else's page that I get pissed. It's totally out of line.

No comments:

Post a Comment