Thursday, December 17, 2009

tis the season

I work retail. To me saying this is like a badge of honor showing that I been to the front line, I've seen the worst and I've gone back for more. Anyone who works a service job that has to deal with the general public needs a hug this time of year and is it just me or are people getting stupider? I understand that my job is customer service and I will glady oblige -to a point, but I have to say that some of these holiday shoppers are really pushing me to the edge. Let me give you a few examples of what I had to deal with today.

  • I had customer who was shipping something from our store to an address in another state. She called the store to complain about being charged tax...stating it was illegal to charge her if she was shipping to another state. I offered to change the tax rate and charge her for the rate of the local tax. Now the difference is only 3%, but insisted on coming back into the store to get her money back...that's a little over a dollar.
  • It's about 5 minutes after the store has closed and I've got one customer who is still wandering around shopping. I kindly remind him we are closed (because he clearly didn't hear the 3 announcements I made) and he proceeds to the cash wrap where he takes his time looking at more merchandise. We finally check him out and he asks about having his items gift wrapped.

This is just a little taste of what I have to deal with everyday. So, dear holiday consumers I advise you to pull your head out of your ass and show a little respect when out shopping. Don't be crazy or stupid and don't waste the time of those who are trying to help you. If the store is closing -leave. If you don't know what you want - do the research before you go out shopping. If you have a complaint -make sure it's a good one, but don't waste the time of the poor manager that has to deal with you.

For someone who hates people as much as I do it's a miracle that i haven't gone nuts and tried to strangle a customer ....yet. I guess I do have a week until Christmas so there is still the possibility.

1 comment:

  1. And for god sake's-make sure you sure you keep the damned receipt!

    ReplyDelete