Sunday, September 18, 2011

fall reads

Yay! Fall is here. This is by far my favorite season. I adore everything from apple cider to pumpkin pie to haunted houses. Also, my b-day is in October so that month has always been a time of celebration for me. Fall also means fall reads. A lot of famous authors put their books out just in time for the holidays. Here are some of the books I've put on my to read list.

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - I just started reading this tale of two magicians who are supposed to face off to the death but end of falling in love. Yes, it does seem a little like the Hunger Games plot, but I am enjoying it so far. Also, I could easily see this book being adapted into a Tim Burton movie.

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk - I'm going to give him another chance, but I've been very disappointed by his last few books. This one is about a young girl who overdoses on marijuana (can you do that?), dies and goes to hell.

The Magician King by Lev Grossman - This is actually a follow up to The Magicians. It's getting rave reviews and I know a few people recommended The Magicians to me (telling me it was Harry Potter for adults). However, I have two reliable sources who say that The Magicians blows so I'm going to start with number two and see if it's any better.

The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson - I've been eyeing this book for the past few weeks. It's about a family of performance artists and the effect it takes on their children.

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - I adore Hugo Cabret and expect greatness from his new book. Yes, it's a kids book. However, her combines moving narrative and fantastic images to make this a read for all ages.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami - I haven't read any Murakami, but this one looks really interesting. It looks like this might be a spin on 1984 by Orwell so I'm willing to give it a try.

Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi - She's the pastry chef for David Chang's Momofuku and I can't wait to see what this book holds - yummy!

Girl in the Kitchen by Stephanie Izard - I am smitten with Izard and so excited that this local Top Chef has a cookbook out now.


....and what was my favorite summer read? I would have to say that Divergent by Veronica Roth was the best of my Summer of Teen Dystopian Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment