Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mad Girl's favorite things

I have to admit that I loved it when Oprah did her favorite things show. Sadly, we won't get that this year, but I've decided to compile a list of some of my favorite things. Hopefully, they will inspire you this gift giving season.


I adore oils and vinegars and my favorite place to get both is Old Town Oil. I usually do some of my x-mas shopping here every year. This year I'm really excited to try their Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar. Imagine what this would taste like over fresh strawberries or drizzled over bacon wrapped dates?

Whenever I go to Old Town Oil I always stop at the Spice House. Everyone eats and you are bound to find something for those hard to shop for people in here. It's also a great place to shop for your foodie friends. This year I might give out their Hot Cocoa Mix to deserving boys and girls. I also think that their Chicago Neighborhood Spice boxes make a great gift for out of town guests.

Maybe you need to spice up your eggnog or hot cocoa this holiday season. Then may I suggest checking out Koval Distillery? Koval is a local boutique distillery that I just adore. Their liqueurs are great for cocktails or just as an aperitif. I think the coffee liqueur will go well in a nice warm winter cocktail.

If you are looking for something a little more relaxing then I am utterly in love with Aveda Comforting Tea. It's a little pricey, by it's oh so yummy and just what the doctor ordered after a long hard day of work.



Now for something you can't eat or drink, but is still delicious. Have you ever had a Paddy Wax candle? I think their Library Collection is the perfect gift for the bibliophile in your life. Haven't you ever wanted to have you house smell like Jane Austen or Oscar Wilde?




I always love to do some holiday shopping at MoJo Spa. The owner, Amanda, makes all of her own products and everyone here is super friendly. I think the cake soaps make a nice gift with a bit of whimsy. I am also in love with their chocolate body scub so this gift set would make my day.

My other favorite place of body products is The Body Shop. I think the peppermint footcare line makes a great gift for that special aunt, grandma or anyone who is on their feet all day. I think this shave set makes a nice gift for the man (or gay boyfriend) in your life.


I just got my first pair of City Slips. These are adorable little flats that fold up into a bag. The idea is that you can wear your fancy shoes to a party and then slip out of them and put on these comfortable flats. I think these would make a great bridesmaid gift as well.



I caught my hairdresser wearing these uber adorable glitter Toms and had to have some. I haven't bought them yet, but I think they will really jazz up my basic black wardrobe. We'll see how they hold up on the sales floor.



And if I had a special bachelor in my life I might consider getting this or this :) Bet you Oprah would never have either of these on her favorites list.



If you are looking for entertainment then I think that A Very She & Him Christmas CD and the Lion King DVD would be on the top of my must have list. However, a museum membership is another great idea. I recently joined the Art Institute and have a been a member of the Chicago History Museum for years. These make great gifts for anyone.




And for the little ones...I think this vintage Fisher Price Record Player is the way to go.



I'm going to do a whole separate blog on books so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment