Thursday, November 24, 2011

skipping Thanksgiving

I work retail. This means I am denied my holidays. There is no peace and joy for me. November and December are my most intense months and the holidays leave me with no good will to spread. This year I am trying something different. I'm skipping Thanksgiving. This is the first time in my entire life (with the exception of the year I lived in England) that I have not been with my family for Thanksgiving. I'll be honest. I'm not bummed.

The last thing I want to do is commute home an hour and a half each way only to spend my day in a cramped trailer with my my mom's family. Sure, I'd love to see my mom, dad and sis, but I get to see them any time I want. I've always been a family person, but what's the use in going home for Thanksgiving if I can't really enjoy myself? My family situation isn't the same. I hate imposing on my sis and her fiance for a place to spend the night every time I go home and I hate that I don't have my family to itself since my grandma is now living with my parents. So this year I'm doing Thanksgiving my way.

Obviously this involves a few trips to Trader Joe's, enough food for four and tons of booze. Here's what my feast consisted of:

Butternut Squash Soup
Parker House Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Truffle Mashed Potatoes (with a little bacon grease added in for good measure)
Corn with Chile Powder
Turkey Gravy
Turkey Breast with Stuffing
and Pumpkin Pie for dessert

I got to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Dog Show today. All in all, a pretty good day...now on to the holiday chaos. Please keep me in your thoughts and remeber to be kind to your retail workers because we put up with a lot of shit this time of year.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a fantastic idea. To be honest, this year (like many that came before) I have sworn off Thanksgiving next year. We'll see if I stick to it, but lugging a 6 year old and 15 month old to 3 different houses in a time span of 9 hours just really wasn't... Fun. It was totally unenjoyable and I crashed at 9 p.m. :/ I actually would enjoy just hanging at home with my man and my littles. Thanksgiving is for the birds! Cheesy pun intended ;)

    ReplyDelete