Thursday, March 11, 2010

First Mate to First Date

Today's adventure started out with what I thought was going to be a restful afternoon at the Shedd Aquarium (http://www.sheddaquarium.org/). I imagined myself wandering around the aquarium lost in a daze and enjoying the tranquility of a myriad of fish gliding through the water. I was sorely mistaken. Apparently it was Bing Your Unruly Innercity Child to the Aquarium Day. Among some of the awesome behavior I saw: knocking on the glass of the tanks, taking photos using the flash, yelling, screaming, running, unattended elementary aged children and popcorn spilt on the floor and left for someone else to clean up. The other bizarre things is that as I wandered to each tank I couldn't help but think how delicious some of these fish would taste and have since been craving seafood. I only ended up staying for a little over an hour because i was so annoyed by all of this. I got to see everything in the aquarium ,but did not get to enjoy myself or linger as I had planned. It's a god thing my evening more than made up for my bad afternoon at the Aquarium.



Tonight I had my first date with one of the guys I met on Okcupid. He seemed pretty promising and we deiced to meet at Sticky Rice Thai (http://www.stickyricethai.com/) restaurant where we ordered the caterpillars as an appetizer. They did look like caterpillars, but when you ate them they were crunchy, not gooey like I expected. Also, they were friend in oil so that made them bit oily for me, but all in all they did not taste bad. Sort of like eating some sort of oily puffed snack. For my entree I ordered a Thai style omelet made with ant eggs. You honestly couldn't taste the eggs because they were so tiny and mixed in with the eggs. I think they were mainly there for protein. After a great dinner (and even better conversation) we headed to a pub where my date impressed me by ordering two very good types of scotch. Adventurous eating and good scotch? This guy certainly knows the way to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment