Tuesday, December 28, 2010

surviving Christmas

Maybe I'm a bit of a Grinch, but Christmas can go suck it. In fact, the whole month of December can suck it. For me, December is about survival. It's sort of like training for a marathon and the month of December is the big day. By the end of the holiday season I'm left in a state of pain and exhaustion. Most people spend December attending holiday parties and visiting family. However, I work retail and I spend the month dealing with the general public -most of which who do not spend a lot of time in retail establishments and therefore, don't know the rules.

I spend December running around like a mad woman dealing with people who don't understand how sales tax works or the fact that the online price is different than the in store price. Not only don't they understand it, but they want to argue about it and waste my valuable time. These type of people can suck it.

The worst part of the month is the two weeks before Christmas when I work 6 day work weeks. This usually drives me to the brink of insanity and takes until about mid February to recover. I'm currently sitting in an apartment that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months. There are dirty dishes and clothes everywhere and a nice film of grime. I'm pretty sure there is a dead body somewhere in my kitchen as well. Tomorrow is my first real day off in 2 weeks and I have to spend it digging myself out of this filth. I also plan to shave my legs. This hasn't been done in a bout 2 weeks and I'm feeling a little too bohemian for my liking. Clearly, there haven't been visits from Bachelors so I will also need get my love life jump started.

Last year I promised myself that I would not be working retail during the holidays this year. Perhaps I can finally make that a reality. I plan to get serious about finding a new job after the new year. Who knows, I may be one jolly mother fucker by the time Christmas rolls around next year. Perhaps I will be able to join everyone down and Whoville for holiday festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment