Thursday, January 20, 2011

Custom House Tavern

Last night I went on my fanciest date yet. Bachelor #12 and I went to the Custom House Tavern for a four course chef's tasting menu (I had a Groupon to use up). The experience was sublime from the service to the food to the company.

I showed up a little bit earlier than B12. The host took my coat and I went to the bar to get a cocktail. The bartender was an older woman - I love to see a good woman bartender (not some trixie with a shot tray). The cocktail line-up was impressive with a selection of about 12 craft cocktails. There was even a sazerac on the menu and the fact that they make their own vermouth totally scored them some points. I went on the bartenders suggestion and ordered a tequila old fashioned. This was simple cocktail of repisido tequila, house made vermouth, and brandied cherries. I would have never considered this sort of tequila cocktail, but I do adore Manhattans so this wasn't that far off. The cocktail was superb and I got a little buzzed before my date showed up. I also have to say that the beer and wine list were well put together, but it's hard to choose one of those when you can put the skills of the bartender to work.

Once B12 showed up we were taken to our seats. The dining room is dimly lit and cozy. It's decorated in darker earthy tones and the booths are arranged for an intimate meal. The only thing I would change is the view. We were looking out a window at the bustling Congress Parkway and a BP station across the street. That's Chicago for you! The service was first class. I don't think I emptied 1/4th of my water glass before someone showed up to refill it. Also, I tend to be a messy eater, but you wouldn't know because after each tasting someone was there to sweep away the crumbs and hide my shame. What struck me as interesting was when we were first seated I went to put the white napkin on my lap a waiter walked up and offered me a darker one. I can only assume it was because I was wearing a black dress? I've never seen that before. Guess I don't eat at enough classy joints.

But let's get to what we all came here for...the food. The waiter explained that the chef's tasting was a 'best of'. If this meal was designed to show off the skill of the chef he certainly did a fantastic job. The evening started off with an amuse bouche consisting of poached shrimp on a horseradish creme fresh. My palette was certainly stimulated by the creaminess of the shrimp and pop form the horseradish.

First tasting was a roasted butternut squash salad. Now, anyone who knows me well knows that in my world I don't eat salads. No matter how many times I try I just can't seem to choke down a salad. However, I cleared my plate on this one. The salad was a frisee salad with a tangy vinaigrette. It was served over some roasted butternut squash and there was some bacon mixed in as well. The bacon was okay, but I think that the dish would have been fine without it (and that would be something I rarely say). The real stand out was the Greek yogurt on the side. It was homemade and mixed with maple, but the stunner was the dash of paprika on top! A winning flavor combination that i will certainly try at home. This combination just makes total sense a dash of smokey spice with the rich tang of the yogurt.

The next course was scallops and pork belly which to me is like saying let me wrap up a night of awesome sex in bacon. The scallop was served over the pork belly and some grits. I really wanted to lick the bowl and could have eaten 5 more servings. By far this was the best dish. I really feel that the scallops and pork belly speak for themselves. Is your mouth watering yet?

The main entree was short ribs. They were certainly tasty and cooked well, but didn't stand out. I also prefer mine still on the bone, but these were served like a piece of pot roast over some mashed potatoes that lacked flavor. Still a good dish, but not blown away like the other courses.

Dessert was a chocolate ganache coated in sea salt and served with a dollop of cinnamon ice cream. The ice cream was the winning element of this dish, but the ganache was the perfect way to end the meal.

Would I go back and pay full price for this meal? Yes, but only if I had some Gs to spend or it was a special occasion (like a 3rd date with one of my bachelors). They are offering $5 burgers during January so I think I will pop back to the bar for another cocktail and one of those sometime soon.

http://www.customhouse.cc/
hood: South Loop/Printers Row
Tab: about $140 for 2 people (that's not including my Groupon)

No comments:

Post a Comment