Wednesday, January 12, 2011

just call me the rev

A few years ago I went online and got ordained through The Universal Life Church. This actually gave me the title of 'Reverend'. It all started because two very important friends (who I had introduced to each other) decided to tie the knot. We joked about me officiating and one night (I think it might have been New Year's Eve) I went online and did it.

Being asked to officiate a wedding is both an honor and a big responsibility. This is where my past experience on the speech team and degree in English come in handy. It's important to craft the perfect ceremony that reflects the couple and the sanctity of marriage. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with it though. My hope is that one day I can officiate ceremonies for everyone, regardless of sexual preference. I look forward to the day when I get to perform an official ceremony for husband and husband or wife and wife.

I'm about to officiate my third wedding and I thought that I would go back and post my ceremonies for everyone to read. Each is a tribute to the extraordinary couples I married.

The couple: Nick and Amanda.
Their Story: I've been friends with Amanda since middle school and I met Nick in high school, but didn't really build a friendship with him until after college when we both started hanging out together. I eventually threw Amanda into the mix and we all became very good friends. We would get together every week to watch Buffy and eventually feelings developed between them. For a very long time I was in the middle of two people who liked each other, but were too afraid to do anything. Eventually, moves were made a relationship was formed. They had a beautiful 1930's themed wedding at an apple orchard.


Nick and Amanda's Wedding (August 2009)


Marriage. Marriage is what brings us together here today. Marriage -that blessed arrangement. Marriage -that dream within a dream. Nick and Amanda, may love –true love- follow you forever.

The Bride and Groom have brought their own vows and would like to share those with each other.

I (name), take you (name) to be my (husband/wife), my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I promise to be most excellent to you. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live
I, (name), take you, (name), to be my partner, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the (man/woman) you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to be excellent to you. To love you and cherish you through whatever life may bring us.

Traditionally, the marriage ceremony is marked by the exchange of rings. The wedding ring is a symbol of unbroken circle of love; a reminder that love freely given has no beginning and no end, no giver and no receiver –for each is the giver and each is the receiver. May these rings remind you always of the vows you have taken here today.

Nick, please take Amanda’s ring, and as you place it on her hand, repeat after me… With this ring I thee wed.
Amanda, please take Nick’s ring and as you place it on his hand repeat after me…With this ring I thee wed.

And now that you have stood before me and exchanged these rings and these vows, and have agreed to be married according to the laws of the state of Indiana, it gives me great pleasure to pronounce that you are Husband and Wife. May you always be excellent to each other.

Nick, you may now kiss your lady.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! I had NO idea you played that role in their wedding! It looked like it was such a beautiful ceremony! So cool.

    ReplyDelete