Sunday, January 16, 2011

wedding number two

I never really intended this whole getting ordained online thing to go over so well, but it seems that modern brides and grooms are looking for something a little more intimate for their nuptials. Having someone who knows you is just an extra little touch to a special day. I was extremely touched when my friend Marissa asked me officiate her wedding last July. Here is the ceremony I put together for them.

The couple: Mike and Marissa
The story: Marissa and I met my freshman year of college and I immediately liked her outgoing personality and the confident way she carried herself. She has been a great friend to me, but I think the thing I love the most about her is her wacky side. Not only is she beautiful, smart and creative, but she is hell of a lot of fun to be around. This is the type of friend that can always put a smile on your face. She met Mike where they were both working at an art supply store and after a very long cortship they decided to get married. The first time I met Mike was at another friend's wedding and I immediately liked him. Mike and Marissa are a winning combination (I mean, even their names go well together) and I was honored to be able to marry them.


Good afternoon! We are gathered here today, not to witness of the beginning of what will be, but rather what already is! We do not create this marriage, because we cannot. We can and do, however, celebrate with Mike and Marissa and their friends and families the wonderful occurrence that has already taken place in their lives! In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

Love is the greatest thing that we have. It is the language we all speak. It is the foundation that most relationships are built upon. Love comes naturally to us. You can look at the ones you love and say “I touched their life”. Just as you, Mike, might say I touched this canvas, those brushstrokes are mine.” For you, Marissa, it may be a knit or a purl in knitting project you are working on. With each stitch you are building something special, sharing a part of you. Marriage is to belong to each other through a unique and diverse collaboration, like two strings of yarn crossing in different directions, yet weaving one scarf together.

However, to make this relationship work takes more than love. It takes trust, to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other. It takes dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow, even when it is difficult to do so. And it takes faith, to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both. While love is our natural state of being, these other qualities are not as easy to come by. They are not a destination, but a journey. And this why we gathered here today. To support you in your journey.

Readings
The bride and groom have selected a few readings they would like to share with us. First is the groom’s sister Cheryl who will be reading I carry your heart by e.e. cummings.

And now the Grooms’ sister Susan will be reading a selection from Dante Alighieri (Ala-gary) titled There is a Gentle Thought

Exchange of Rings
Traditionally, the marriage ceremony is marked by the exchange of rings. The wedding ring is a symbol of unbroken circle of love; a reminder that love freely given has no beginning and no end, no giver and no receiver –for each is the giver and each is the receiver. May these rings remind you always of the vows you will take here today.

Mike, please take Marissa’s ring, and as you place it on her hand, repeat after me...I give you this ring to wear with love and appreciation. As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. I choose you to be my wife this day and forever more.
Marissa, please take Mike’s ring and as you place it on his hand repeat after me.. I give you this ring to wear with love and joy. As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. I choose you to be my husband this day and forevermore.

Pronouncement
Mike and Marissa, remember to treat both yourself and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty or fear assail your relationship – as they threatened all relationships at one time or another – remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part that seems wrong.
In this way, you can ride out the times when roadblocks keep you from continuing your journey – remembering that even if you loose your way for a moment the path is still there.

And now that you have stood before me and exchanged these rings and these vows, and have agreed to be married according to the laws of the state of Florida, it gives me great pleasure to pronounce that you are Husband and Wife. You may now kiss the bride.
Family and Friends, it is my honor to present to you, for the first time as husband and wife: Mike and Marissa.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! We were thrilled you were our officiant, and everyone LOVED the ceremony. Your rock. Love you!

    ReplyDelete