Sunday, March 6, 2011

gluttony and lust

I am a sinner. I try to stay away from the really big sins, but I'm pretty sure that Gluttony and Lush were both on the plate for me this week and I do believe I got punished for both.

Let's start with Gluttony. It's Mardi Gras season so I figured I should stop by Heaven on Seven for some New Orleans cuisine. I met my GBF (gay boy friend) there after work and had my mind set on gumbo, oysters, and a few hurricanes. I've eaten there many times and have tried a lot of items on the menu. There is a certain item that I've always had my eye on. It's called 'Jimmy Feed Me' and is a tasting of 7 items prepared by the chef for $35. I decided to give it a try last night. I've had tasting menus before and they are usually small bites of food specially selected by the chef to showcase their culinary ability. I figured I could easily handle 7 courses....I was wrong. The portions started off small for the first 2 rounds and i was moving along at a nice pace...then the entrees arrived and I can assure you they were close to regular size entrees. Holy crap! I felt like I was going to explode by the end of my meal. It was sort of like that that scene in European Vacation where Audrey falls asleep on the plane and dreams about being stuffed with food until she explodes. Let me give you a run down of what I consumed:

fried green tomato: this is a classic and one of my favorite things to order here.
sampling of gumbo and turtle soup with a jalapeno corn muffin on the side: I adore the gumbo and had never tried the turtle soup which was equally fantastic.
blackened tilapia with a crab cake on the side
voodoo enchilada: came with a special voodoo sauce made with fruit juices and spices. the portion was enough for two people and this is where i started to get full
scallop with braised oxtail: one of my favorite items of the night. the scallop oxtail combo is always a winner.
bbq salmon: I'm normally not a huge salmon eater, but this was pretty yummy (maybe a little bit fishy) with the BBQ sauce
beef tips: I thought I was going to burst by this point, but I kept consuming. I think they tasted good, but I was deep into a food coma at this point.

And if this all wasn't enough the waitress then set the dessert menu down and said I could pick anything wanted. I went with the pecan pie which was warm and gooey and only managed 3 bites of it. So I do have to say that this was quite a deal, but bring your appetite because the portions are not 'tasting' size.

And now a little about Lust. I had 3 decent dates with Bachelor 14 and found out that he was not the best kisser. However, against my better judgement an the advice of my GBF I had B14 over for cocktails. I won't bore you with all the details (those will be given out freely over drinks). However, I will say that I imagine that this is what sex with an awkward 16 year old boy would be like. I suspect that he may even have been a virgin because at least that would explain the poor performance. I'm usually the type of gal that enjoys all kinds of sex, but I actually found myself laying on my bed with B14 on top of me and thinking that this was certainly the wost sex ever. Lesson learned.

1 comment: