Wednesday, March 16, 2011

MadGirl nearly goes into cardiac arrest

You may have noticed that about a week ago hell froze over. That's because I marched my ass into the Ballys next door to my work and got a membership. I didn't want to, but I know that i had to. As most of you know, I am not what you would call 'fit'. I like to eat and I do enjoy my curves. However, my hedonistic diet of food and drink and rising stress levels at work have driven me to do at least one thing good for body.

Today I had my first workout with a trainer. I signed up for a small training package because I knew that I would need someone to show me the ropes and keep me motivated. I was expecting to get someone who would show me how to use the equipment, help me figure out what I should be doing and for how long and then maybe show me how to stretch. However, what I got was a workout from hell that almost put me into cardiac arrest.

I was partnered with a very attractive trainer (tall, black and handsome) who told me that he was a professional rugby trainer. At this point I should have run in the other direction, but i followed. I guess the joke was on him when he discovered that I couldn't even do a sit up. He tried to start me out with some elaborate exercises and quickly discovered that I had no stamina and no idea what the hell I was doing. I was a little ticked because I was not expecting a boot camp work out and while my trainer was nice I really started to despise exercise and was pretty sure that my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Great training if I was getting ready to try out for the women's rugby team.

At the end of our session my trainer suggested that i do the elliptical for 30 minutes a day. Seriously? Did he not see my fat ass or notice the fact that I almost passed out on him? I'm going to stick with this workout thing, but on my own terms. I don't want to hate working out and need to start with baby steps. My goal is to go to the gym3-4 times a week. Maybe 20 minutes of the bike and 15 on the elliptical. I'll probably work some resistance training in there as well.

For those of you who work out what's your advice? How did you start? What worked for you? How do you stay motivated? How often do you work out? HELP!!!! I need to go from Mad Girl to Fit Girl.

2 comments:

  1. haha... this is probably what it would be like "IF" i ever joined a gym! i do daily (almost daily LOL) yoga (20-30 minutes) at my house followed by like however many crunches and leg lifts i feel like :) i am not fit by any means, but take an already curvy girl whose favourite food is bacon and add 2 pregnancies to the mix... so, yeah... i feel like i should do SOMEthing :) good luck! my brother is a rugby player and coach and he's NUTS in the gym. he texted me yesterday that he had maxed out on bench press @ 350 lbs.! seriously, dude? oh, and he also does the chicago marathon every year and runs 15 miles a day... so i feel for you; i'm sure your personal trainer was a fitness nazi like my bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that right now I just need to off-set some of the bad in my life. Maybe one day I'll actually be in really good shape, but for now I just want to de-stress and fit comfortably back into my size 14s. I'm also pretty sure that I will now equate Rugby = Evil.

    ReplyDelete