Friday, January 8, 2010

The Laws of Attraction

Tonight I was lured to OK Cupid (http://www.okcupid.com/) because some gentleman had chosen me for his quick match. OK Cupid is the second dating site that I've joined (I'm still not ready to talk about what a huge let down eHarmony was). This site is free, takes itself less seriously and the guys are way cooler. There are many ways to connect on this site and quick match is just one of them. When you do quick match you get to look at profiles and rate them 1 to 5 stars. If you rate them 4 or 5 stars then the person you rate will get a message saying that someone rated them 4 or 5 stars and if they rate you the same -you match. So, I get this e-mail with some photos of about 9 guys. OK Cupid states that somewhere in my first few matches will be the person who choose me.

So, I log on and start rating. I rate about 15 guys and only 1 gets 4 stars (the really cute European boy) the rest of the men are total losers. I mean we're talking long scraggly hair, live in my parents basement type of losers. Now I know that beggars can't be choosers, but it always seems that there is a certain type of guy that is attracted to me. They always seem to find me on this site and I'm sad to say that the feelings of attraction are not mutual.

To further explain I've come up with a list of things that are wrong with my suitors. Most of these men have at least 3 of these problems: live in their parents basement, unemployed, slightly to largely over weight (I must note that i do like a guy with a little meat on his bones), scraggly and/or long hair, over the age of 40, no social skills, comic book collection, too much facial hair, smells like cooking odors (can't prove this, but sometimes you just have a feeling), once touched a girl's boob and still brags about it to his friends, active in the role playing community, owns a black trench coat, has a penchant for odd hats.

So, you get the picture right? This whole single in the city is much harder than it looks. There isn't a filter for these things on dating sites. The scary thing is that i keep getting matched with them. These may be great guys, but physical chemistry counts for a lot and I just don't see myself getting it on with some guy whose idea of romance is a night of Dungeons and Dragons followed by making out on his parents couch. You get the point.

1 comment: