Saturday, September 25, 2010

Historic Downtown North: Treasures

This was my first tour with the Chicago Architecture Foundation. I thought that something general would be a good introduction to Chicago architecture. Not only was I impressed with the service at the Architecture Foundations, but the docent was fantastic and I walked away with more information than I expected. So let us begin our tour on Michigan Avenue...


Did you know that the Lions in front of the Art Institute have names? They are called 'on the prowl' and 'stands in an attitude of defiance'. The Art Institute was actually built on the rubble of the Great Fire. I also learned a bit about the history of Michigan Ave and State Street. Michigan Ave was a man's street, housing men's clubs and businesses. State Street was a street for women - it's where all the shopping was.


From Michigan Ave we walked up the street to the Palmer House. The picture to the right is the outside of the building and below are some pictures of the fantastic lobby and, my favorite, the Empire Room. I have decided that this will be the location of my wedding reception...now just need to find the groom.
















We then traveled a little further up State Street to The Sullivan Center (used to be the Carson Pirie Scott building). I think I'm really starting to gain an appreciation for Sullivan's design.
























Now, for one of my favorite places. Marshall Fields -well, now it's Macy's but the building is still just as fantastic as it used to be. I've shopped there a lot, but have never really looked up. How about this Tiffany dome?














The Cultural Center was also on our tour. I had only been in the building once or twice, but never really got a chance to see how fantastic the design inside is. This used to be the public library (built after the Great Fire), but now it houses all sorts of cultural events as well as the main tourism office.








Back out to State Street for a look at some of the buildings located along Millennium Park.

These buildings are part of the Gage Group and reflect different approaches to the Chicago School. Two are designed by Holabird and Roche and one is by Louis Sullivan (his is the more ornate one)












No comments:

Post a Comment