Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Abuse of Pastries

Yesterday was a really good day. It was the kind of day I wish I could live everyday. My adventures started with a visit to Bachelor #6's apartment for a quickie. I was only there for an hour, but I walked out of there with a spring in my step. I seriously felt like I had just smoked an incredible bowl of weed. Talk about your natural high. If I could start my day like that I would be a much happier person.

After my little rendez-vous I met up with one of my friends. We decided to head down towards Lincoln Park and go to this restaurant, Mon Ami Gabi. It looks like an adorable French bistro right by the park. It's located in this high end apartment building. It's the kind of place I'd like to live in should I ever win the lotto. Sadly, they did not open until later so we decided on Cafe Brauer which is actually part of the zoo. Turns out this was closed down for the season - I guess everyting shuts down after Labor Day. Luckily we had our old standby, Bistro Zinc, just a short walk away. We had a fantastic lunch at the bistro and I got my fill of their delicious escargot...for a few weeks at least. We partook in a few Campari and sodas, ate our lunch and then headed out for the French Market.

I have read a lot about the French Market and was expecting something very French. However, it's really just a market selling everything from produce to flowers to asian food. Some booths were a little more French than others. My friend and I got some pastries from Vanille Patisserie. I adore this place - it's a little pricey, but the pastries are exquisite and their macaroons are like crack at $1.50 a pop they are certainly a once in a while treat. We took our pastries and cappuccinos outside and spent a good hour drinking, eating, and geeking out with our nooks. Turns out that they did not give us forks so my friend and I used our fingers to eat our pastries. I realize that we are probably now banned from France after commiting such a crime. The weather was sunny, cool and a little windy. Our bellies were full with escargot and fine French pastries and our nooks were updated with fall reads. It was perfection.

After our coffee break we headed to the West Loop in search or The Girl and The Goat. Once we found it we continued to wander the neighborhood and plan our move over there when our leases were up a year from now. Maybe, I don't need a change of city, but a change of neighborhood? This seems to be a good neigborhood for a foodie like me. We ended up at Wishbone partaking in half price martins and convincing out friends to come join us for dinner. I think we were there for about 4 hours. Sadly, Oprah did not stop by to join us. All in all, a fantastic day full of adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment