Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mad Girl has a thing for Mexicans

I guess it all started back in high school when I first watched Desperado. From that moment on I was in love with Antonio Banderas (who I realize is actually Spanish). The grit, the danger, the passion, even the mariachi outfit just did it for me. And don't even get me started about his oh so sexy accent. I still struggle with the fact that Puss in Boots kind of turns me on. I've always had this thing with dark, handsome men and now that I've dated a few Mexicans I can honestly say that I have a thing for them. For the past few months I've totally been cruising every decent looking Mexican boy that comes into my line of sight. I find big Mexican men with tattoos to be irresistible. (I blame B10 for this). Hell, I even went for B19 based on the fact that he reminded me of B10. The formula just seems to work for me.

I can't quite explain what the draw is exactly. I like that the Mexican men I've dated have close ties with their family and were raised by mothers who taught them how to treat a lady. Both B10 and B19 do this thing where they make me walk on the inside of the sidewalk because their mothers told them that only prostitutes walk on the outside. I found this practice strange at first, but now I've come to like that. I see it as a sign of respect. Even though B19 ended up being a total jerk, he did treat me well when we were together and I believe that goes back to how he was raised. Just wish his mother had taught him how to be a big boy and talk about his feelings rather than post some nasty shit on Facebook. Guess you can't win them all.

My interest in all things Mexican doesn't stop with men. I love the culture too. The food is amazing, tequila is one of my favorite spirits and the art and cultural history is rich. I took a trip to Guadalajara a few years back and fell in love with the country. I choose that city because it seemed like a real Mexican city (not some touristy beach town). It is the second largest city in Mexico and not the first place most Americans would think to visit. It's a town known for Orozco murals, home of the mariachi and one of the biggest indoor markets in Central America. Also, it's right by the town of Tequila so, clearly, I had to go. I discovered so many things that I loved in Guadalajara: the Mexican muralists, taco stalls, tequila bandera and birria (a goat stew). I wonder if I was Mexican in a past life? Or maybe I'm just destined to be with a Mexican man.

No comments:

Post a Comment