Friday, July 13, 2012

why I need to stay away from 4am bars

I am writing this blog from the depths of the worst hangover ever. I think my drinking binge actually started two nights ago. Wednesday was just an all around shitty day for me. On top of feeling horrible about the whole B10 situation, I also had a royally sucky day at work. I can usually manage through a bad day, but this one was just sucksville. So, I did what any normal gal would do. I came home, balled my eyes out and got drunk. My companion for that evening was a bottle of Evan Williams 10 year single barrel bourbon and some Johnny Cash CDs. I felt way better by the end of the night and have to say that bourbon is cheaper than therapy.

So yesterday I go to work and afterwards I head to a Bucktown pub crawl. We started the evening at the Map Room. I had a Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge which is a Blegian sour red ale. I've been into sour ales lately. If you are a beer geek and live in Chicago then you've been to the Map Room. They have an amazing beer selection from around the world and even offer one cask conditioned selection. After leaving the Map Room we walked up the street to the Charlston. This had to be my favorite bar of the night. It's been a bar since the 1930's and has this amazing old time bar vibe to it. The original wood bar, ice box and tin ceiling add to the worn in charm of this place. The bar was actually used as the green room when they shot High Fidelity and Untouchables. They have a decent selection of beer on tap and the bartenderesse made these awesome mint and cucumber margaritas for us. She had fresh ingredients, bitters and a muddler. I was in heaven. I also tried this amazing white Belgian ale, Blanch de bruxelles. It was almost buttery in taste and smell. So very good. When we finished there we walked around the corner to Danny's Tavern. I love that this bar is basically an old Chicago apartment made into a bar. It's got that whole college house party vibe to it. It's a great place for a date. I went with a beer from 5 Rabbit, which is a local Chicago brewery and one of the only brewery's run my Hispanics. After this we went to Lottie's Pub which is kind of a Kansas City doucebag bar and not really my thing. The pub is named after it's original owner who was a transvestite who ran a gambling ring and other nefarious affairs out of the basement of the bar.

Before we move on with the rest of the night I will add a little bit about Bucktown. It's boundaries are Fullerton to the North, North Ave to the South, Ashland to the East and Western to the West. The name Bucktown comes from the Polish immigrants who originally settled here when it was just farm land. They raised goats here and male goats are called bucks. Also, you will notice that sidewalks are raised and many older homes are sunk into the ground making the second floor the first floor. The reason for this is that, at one point, Chicago decided to have everything at sea level. Sidewalks and streets were raised leaving the house to have look like they've sunk into the ground.

Alright, ready for more? After Lotties we went to Peace brewery for some awesome pizza, some beers and apparently it was Karaoke night. Everyone there was young and douchey and I was feeling particularly superior to them all. There were all the usual suspects, the girl who kept getting up and singing soulful Karaoke songs, the guy wearing a stripped polo shirt and plaid shorts and some hipster looking types that were not actually very friendly. When we were done here I should have just gotten in a cab and gone home. I didn't. My friend and I then went to Delilah's and proceeded to drink more bourbon. We had a Rowan's Creek and then I had the house bourbon. I was originally put off by the female bartender who couldn't make a sazerac, but turns out that she was pretty awesome and knew her bourbon. I also like the atmosphere in Delilahs, it's dark, the music is good and they have an amazing selection for the bourbon geek as well as the beer geek. The owner is also building up a solid collection of tequilas. You are probably wondering how I am still standing after all of this. I wonder the same thing. We then went to Late Bar where I ordered a suntory yamazaki neat on B10's recommendation. (He's sucha stand up guy that he offered to come pick me up and bring me home....sigh). I took about two sips, it was awesome, I was going to vomit. I left my friend and got in a cab. I thought I was going to vomit in the cab, but I somehow made it safely to my bathroom.

I have now spent most of my day being unable to hold anything down. I had to get up for a conference call at 10:30 and was actually still drunk at that point. My whole day has been spent in misery. Lesson learned: no more 4am bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment